Sunday, July 11, 2010

Soul and Sumac

Mercimak Cabosi. Turkish Red Lentil Soup. The fluffiest, earthiest soup I've ever slurped out of a mug on a gloomy pre-midterm Sunday. The toasty flavoring was brought out really well before any water even hit the lentils.



recipe, :
http://www.ecurry.com/blog/soups-and-salads/turkish-red-lentil-soup-with-sumac/

Changes: I left out hot pepper flakes and mint, didn't add carrots, used water, not stock.
I used a medium-sized tomato, cubed, instead of tomato paste. I recommend it.
I also added juice from half of a little lemon. Mmmm.

I thought I would have a problem with not adding salt or pepper, but this is not the case! I love this soup! I'm going to send my mom the recipe.



Special hint: Make it when you're ready to serve to mouths. Don't hold it for a week, days, or even half a day. It gets goopy and discolored, and loses some roasted flavor.

I'm probably not going to start posting songs with every recipe like Amanda does (I can see myself getting frustrated if I can't find something), but because I'm obsessed with this S. Maharba video, and it fits my mood, I'll post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHh76JY9_jA .

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment