Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tender Scone

Today I decided I wanted to make this recipe without using measurements; albeit I had the Joy of Cooking a list of ingredients and measurement in front of me, so it isn't as if I created the recipe, but oh well.
I've had the scone bug for a while, ever since I had a small bite of perfectly soft ginger scone several weeks ago. Now they are here, decked out in formerly frozen raspberries, ground ginger, and bits of crystallized ginger, my favorite. I haven't tasted them yet, so I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't over handle them and I guessed right on how much of each ingredient.
Enjoy!

Hosted by imgur.com

Raspberry Ginger Scones adapted from the Joy of Cooking Cream Scones recipe
1 3/4 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger (maybe not really sure, to taste)
2 TBL chopped up bits of crystallized ginger (ditto)
1/2-3/4 c. frozen raspberries
1 1/4 c. heavy cream (yay! you don't have to cut in butter/margarine/shortening!!)

1 egg for glaze
sugar for sprinkling

1.Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (hothothot).
2. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and ground ginger together in a medium sized bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the heavy cream.
3. Mix together (lightly--too roughly=too tough scones) and add in crystallized ginger and raspberries.
4. Put the big glob of dough on a lightly floured surface. Shape it into a big circle that's about 3/4 of inch thick and 8 inches in diameter. Cut into 8 triangles and put on a baking sheet. (I guess you should grease the baking sheet? I put foil on mine since that was laying around.)
5. Crack open an egg and mix into together with a little bit of sugar and spread it on the 8 wedges. Sprinkle with a little more sugar.
6. Bake for about 15-17 minutes.
Eat early in the morning while listening to this song. Don't watch the accompanying video though, because it's creepy as all get out.

Hosted by imgur.com

Hosted by imgur.com

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment