Monday, March 22, 2010

Because we couldn't find frozen cranberries, but mango is better anyway.

So I visited my friend Noa last week and we decided to go on a mini baking spree that ended in some good things like this and some weird thing like the challah dough that got cooked when it was rising in a too hot oven (that's where baby yeast goes to die). But first we made this pie, yum! And very easy too, maybe use a bit more mango than we did and listen to this song. while eating it (chilled of course).

Hosted by imgur.com

Honey Mango Pie from this site roughly

Graham Cracker Crust
About 1 1/2 c. of crushed graham cracker crumbs (if you're buying that graham cracker brand that I can't remember the name of right now this is about one of those three plastic containers of crackers in the box crushed up)
6 TBL butter or margarine, melted

1. Mix crumbs and butter together and push into a 9 or 10 inch round pie pan, then bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.

In the meantime, you can make your filling:

3 c. frozen mango chunks (and then some I would say)
1/2 c. honey (I would actually lower this to 1/3 c., there is such thing as too much honey)
14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk (sickeningly good)
3 eggs
1 TBS vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cardamom (we didn't have any on hand so we left this out, I'm usually a big fan of cardamom, but for some reason I think this recipe would be better kept simple, I don't know though, try it out, see how it goes)

1. Noa put all the mango chunks in a bowl and microwaved them for a little and took this strange pulverize thing and mushed them. I would have just thawed them and put them in a blender, I guess since I was scared of the pulverizer or whatever it was.
2.Pour everything together in a bowl and mix. Pour into pre-baked graham cracker crust. Then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about an hour.

Hosted by imgur.com

-Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Yum ! And I agree, keep it simple. Mango and honey are two very strong flavors, and neither need much complementing. This looks great :) I love the tablecloth too.

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete