Monday, May 31, 2010

Martha Goes Greek-Super Speed Style

Phyllo takes like a day to thaw, or overnight-ish (in the fridge). You've been warned.

I made dinner for Gigi, I think I liked it better than she did. I put grapefruit in the salad, that was a no-no. I also made a spanakopita à la Martha Stewart. It was quick. I used frozen spinach even though she didn't okay that (Martha not Gigi). You should make it too. I used whole wheat phyllo dough cause I'm cool like that. I used less phyllo dough than she called for, which made it even speedier.

I win.



I think it looks like a mystical spinach compass.

Speedy Spanakopita
3 TBL olive oil--I used 2ish, we have fancy olive oil that I'm not supposed to waste
1 onion (apparently if you chill onions before you cut them, they won't make you cry-I did not do this. It was bad. I'm glad I don't wear mascara.)
3 cloves garlic
1 lb spinach
(It called for 1/4 c. parsley, but I'm not a fan.)
1/4 c. dill
6 ounces crumbly feta
Salt!!
Pepper!
3 sheets thawed phyllo dough (haha she called for 10-winwinwinwinwin)
1/4 stick of butter/margarine melted

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop your onion. Flick off people who make fun of the fact that you're crying. Heat up your skillet with oil, sauté the onion for eight minutes. While that's going on mince your garlic. Your hands will smell gross. Once the onion has cooked its eight minutes, add the garlic and cook one minute. Then add your spinach gradually. If you're using frozen, it should be thawed P.S. and also if its frozen + thawed make sure to squeeze out excess water as you go along. Cook for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Add the egg, dill, salt, pepper, and feta. Stir.
3. Get a baking sheet. Put parchment paper on it. Unwrap your phyllo. Lay it all out flat and get a towel and make it damp, but not too damp. Put the damp towel on top of the phyllo sheets whenever you're not using them, otherwise they'll dry out.
4. Take one sheet of the phyllo dough and put it on your baking sheet. It might be too big-that's okay, just fold the edges. Use your hands and dabble the sheet with butter. It's yucky, but necessary. Do this two more times (i.e. three sheets in total, each coated with butter. You'll probably have butter left over.)
5. Put the filling in the center. Fold the outer phyllo on top of the filling, crumple it however you want. Maybe you can make a swan? Someone should try that.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes-maybe a few more.



If you eat this outside this song should go well, maybe.

Also I made salad, mmm: herb salad mix, pears, persian cucumbers, grapefruit.


-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment