Sunday, February 14, 2010

Because I like my cookies salty.

So Anna and I really like cardamom and cookies, and together--they're all pretty incredible. And I then I was inspired by Anna's brittle and I had to make snacks for my class last Thursday and snacks for a inspire-people-to-live-in-the-house-that-I-live-in-now-but-next-year fair, so chocolate chip cookies in bar form seemed ideal. And then cardamom is also really fun, these could also be really great with ginger. I want to make gingered pear challah soon, mmmm. My version is adapted from this recipe, but a bit spiced up. (note bad pun) Anyway have fun with them, and they would go well with this song, nice and rich. Yeah I did just do that.

Cardamom-y Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with Salt!
2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp (and then some) kosher sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 TBS molasses (alternatively you could just use 3/4 c. white sugar and 3/4 c. brown sugar, but our kitchen's giant open bag of brown sugar could have broken bones)
3 medium eggs (or 2 large eggs)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 sticks softened Earth Balance (margarine/butter etc.)
20 oz. chocolate chips/chunks whatever (these are veryvery chocolately!)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure butter/margarine is softened!
2. Whisk flour, salt, baking soda, and cardamom together in a bowl.
3. With a mixer, cream the sugars, molasses if using, and butter together. This might take a while, 3 or 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
4. Carefully stir in dry ingredients (not too much!) and mix in chocolate chips.
5. Spray a 9 by 13 inch glass baking pan with cooking spray and pour the batter in and distribute evenly.
6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
And these keep well if you put them in tupperware at least!

-Amanda

Hosted by imgur.com

1 comment:

  1. you spell them yum i want and wish anna was here to make more for me

    ReplyDelete