Saturday, January 2, 2010

Good Morning Campers!

Tip of the taste bud to ya! We're Anna and Amanda and this is our burgeoning blog for the senses. You'll find flavors, feta, figs, flan, focaccia, frittatas, and flapjacks aplenty. Rustle up your retinas! You wouldn't want to run the risk of cooking something unworthy of your gaze. Taste with your eyes, nose, and of course buds. And don't forget to swallow! (That was all Amanda. Here's Anna with a touching story) Oh look, Amanda said swallow. This brings me back, way back, to the days I could sit and leaf through my favorite book -- Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (now a major motion picture, but who's counting) -- featuring a town whose effervescence is composed of vanilla, almond, and lemon essence. Okay so, I just wrote the second half of that sentence so that it'd rhyme (though I'm sure the jello had some artificial vanilla, almond, or lemon flavors). Frankly, a world of hot dogs and pizza is a lot less tantalizing now that I've reached the prime age of nineteen. I'd rather lounge on a sea of fig & cinnamon challahs that Amanda and I are planning on. Speaking of which.. she just asked me what a noob is.. so.. her turn to keep writing. Take it away, Amanda!
So because I have decided that I do not enjoy the word noob, I'll call myself a tenderfoot instead. Anna and I are both tenderfoots in this food blogging business. First, we will leave only photos and that vanilla, almond, lemon essence, and perhaps take only...comments (nice ones please!) But our buds are blossoming and we'll be climbing croquembouches in no time!
We're starting off with this picture of a sweet potato. We used him to make a winter vegetable pie that had one layer of carrots, butternut squash, and sweet potato and a second layer of souffled spinach, all baked in a savory whole wheat crust. We also made a red lentil and chard curry. I wish you could have taken a whiff of the onions when they fraganced! We gathered all the vegetables remains and created a True Blood-inspired heap. Anna wants to know if it's Passover yet so we can make rhubarb haroset. Happy haroset on the horizon!



Sweet Potato!

3 comments: